by Virginia De Masi
MONACO. Following the instructions given by the Prince’s government, at the beginning of March all events with over 100 people were cancelled during the COVID-19 emergency. A knife in the heart of a country that is a worldwide showcase for many cultural, social, sport and commercial events. Forty days later, Thursday 16 April, the Grimaldi Forum was decorated in blue in support of the healthcare workers and the frontline operators, including 20 PC Security and Fire people committed 24 hours a day in the empty building to ensure its safety.
THIS IS THE LIST IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OF THE EVENTS CANCELED OR POSTPONED DUE TO THE DIFFERENT DIFFICULTIES RELATED TO THE HEALTH SITUATION
1- The sixth edition of MAGIC, originally scheduled for March 7, 2020 has been postponed to February 26 and 27, 2021. Dave Gibbons, the designer of the hit series Watchmen, adapted for television on the American HBO channel, William Simpson, the screenwriter of the emblematic Game of Thrones series and many other authors will return to celebrate the Monaco International Game Conferences with its superheroes next year! Further information: www.magic-ip.com
2- The IOC WORLD CONFERENCE on the prevention of injuries and diseases in sport originally scheduled for 12-14 March 2020 has been postponed to 11-13 February 2021. Scientists and recognized professionals from the medical and sports worlds will share their latest discoveries through conferences, symposia, workshops and interactive dialogue sessions. The aim is to transfer academic knowledge to minimize risk factors in sports and maximize sports practice in complete safety.
3- The organizers of the XXXVI edition of the MONTE-CARLO PRINTEMPS ART FESTIVAL, which was supposed to take place from 13 March to 11 April 2020 under the presidency of HRH the Princess of Hanover, are sorry to announce the cancellation. Every year, the Printemps des Arts festival strives to reach an ever-wider audience. An ambitious cultural campaign led by composer Marc Monnet, director of the event which, hopefully, will return next year to the delight of the fans. Tickets were refunded from Tuesday 17 March 2020 at the Atrium ticket office of the Casino de Monte-Carlo – Place du Casino – T: +377 98 06 28 28 – open Tuesday to Saturday from 10 to 17.30.
4- The tenth edition of ONE TO ONE RETAIL E-COMMERCE MONACO initially scheduled from 17 to 19 March has been postponed to 30 June – 2 July 2020 – Three days of conferences, business, and networking in a prestigious environment. One to One Monaco has become the unmissable event for all market players. Innovations are presented, trends are revealed during rich feedback or informal exchanges. Come back for this tenth edition, which will once again bring together all the market leaders!
5- The 4th EDITION OF MONACO OCEAN WEEK & the 11th EDITION OF THE MONACO BLUE INITIATIVE initially scheduled from 24 to 28 March 2020 have been postponed to the week from 22 to 27 March 2021. Given the evolution of the Coronavirus – Covid19 epidemic and considering the measures adopted by the governments of most countries and by the Government of Monaco, the organising institutions have taken the decision to cancel the 2020 edition of Monaco Ocean Week, a week of events dedicated to the preservation of the Ocean. All the events initially planned are therefore cancelled. This unifying event organised by the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, the Monaco Institute of Oceanography, the Monaco Science Centre and the Monaco Yacht Club with the support of the Prince’s Government, has been canceled as well as the 11th edition of the Monaco Blue Initiative.
1- AMWC – World Congress of Aesthetic and Anti-Aging Medicine – initially scheduled from 2 to 4 April, was postponed to 5-7 November 2020 – Under the scientific supervision of the World Society of Interdisciplinary Anti-Aging Medicine (WOSIAM), the conference will present a highly interactive, stimulating and multidisciplinary program and will be the ideal forum for stimulating ideas, educating, sharing skills, initiating intense discussions and expanding networking opportunities. Many doctors, distinguished medical experts and scientists will have the faculty to meet and participate in this congress.
2- THE IGGY POP CONCERT originally scheduled for April 10 has been postponed to September 10, 2020 – New album: free – Iggy’s first album, The Stooges, named after his group, was released 50 years ago. Iggy Pop,an icon as a pioneer of the punk movement and source of inspiration for the grunge scene, he has been happily active for half a century. Not yet tired, “the iguana”, as he is nicknamed, says he wants more than anything else to feel free, and he does so by offering us Free, his eighteenth solo album, a varied Twilight album in which he ventures between rock, music jazz and African with lyrics by Lou Reed and Dylan Thomas. Accompanied by a group composed of Leron Thomas (trumpeter and organizer of his album), the American guitarist Sarah Lipstate and four French musicians, Iggy Pop will perform his new songs and classics and will keep the flame alive! Salle des Princes – On-site parking, price from 19:00, € 0.60 / hour
3-THE MONTE CARLO ROLEX MASTER initially scheduled from 10 to 18 April was postponed to 10 -18 April 2021 –The management of the Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters regrets the cancellation of the Tournament. Due to the ATP’s decision to revoke all current tournaments, the annulation of our event was inevitable, and the only possible option to guarantee the protection and well-being of all given the spread and threat of the Covid-19 pandemic . It is with great sadness that we are experiencing this exceptional situation. As previously announced, the Management confirms to its spectators that all tickets purchased will be reimbursed to them according to a procedure that will be specified later.
4- The 17th edition of the FESTIVAL DE LA COMÉDIE DE MONTE-CARLO originally scheduled for 20 to 25 April has been postponed from 20 to 25 July 2020 – This year the 17th edition of the festival created and directed by Ezio Greggio will still take place with a rich program of events that will include the screening of all the films in competition. The award ceremony will take place in the Salle Prince Pierre with numerous international guests, shows by famous artists and prizes dedicated to the great protagonists of international comedy and cinema. On-site parking, price from 19:00, 0.60 c / hour
5-Les BALLETS MONTE-CARLO initially scheduled from 23 to 26 April 2020 have been canceled
- MONTE-CARLO SOCIETE DES BAINS DE MER – CONCERTS CANCELED AT THE OPERA GARNIER MONTE-CARLO – We are sorry to announce that due to the health crisis of Covid-19 and in order to respect everyone’s safety, the following concerts are canceled: May 4 – Catherine Ringer sings “Rita Mitsouko” – May 15 and 16 – Magma and the Monte-Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra – May 28 – David Hallyday – Ticket holders are invited to contact their resellers to proceed reimbursement.
- The 5th edition of artmonte-carlo initially scheduled from 1 to 3 May 2020 has been postponed from 29 April to 2 May 2021. Launched in 2016 under the High Patronage of SAS the Prince Albert II of Monaco and following the success of artgenève, the Monegasque art salon has created a leading artistic platform for modern and contemporary art on the French Riviera. Every year artmonte-carlo presents a prestigious selection of international galleries, such as White Cube, Kamel Mennour, Victoria Miro and Tornabuoni Art, enriched by institutional exhibitions and a professional forum, designed to evolve to become a key element of the exhibition. Next year artmonte-carlo will have the honor of hosting the famous Boijmans Van Beuningen Museum, an exhibition of the Pictet Prize for photography and a large installation by the Royal Academy of Arts in London. artmonte-carlo will honor artistic careers on a proposal from the Michelangelo Foundation for creativity and craftsmanship. In the same spirit, Art et Bijoux du Monde will present a selection of prestigious international jewelers. Further information: artmontecarlo.ch
- The 6th RM SOTHEBY’S – MONACO 2020 should have returned to the Grimaldi Forum for the sixth biennial auction in Monaco on 9 May 2020. Taking place in parallel with the legendary Grand Prix Historique de Monaco, the Monaco auction is canceled as the Grand Prix itself
- The 8th edition of the MONTE-CARLO FASHION WEEK 2020 with the exclusive show by Ermanno Scervino, announced from 14 to 18 May, has been postponed to a later date not yet defined, due to the global emergency caused by the Covid pandemic -19. This decision was taken as an act of responsibility and respect for the current difficult situation and the planetary health crisis, which obliges us to respect the isolation rules in order to quickly reach a favorable resolution of the current unfortunate circumstances. “Ours is a gesture dedicated to guests and people involved in the event, in the name of protecting everyone’s health and safety,” said Federica Nardoni Spinetta, creator of the event, president and founder. of the Munich Chamber of Fashion. “Our thoughts and our solidarity go to the victims of Covid-19 in the world and to all those who are at the forefront of the fight against this terrible disease”. We are studying several hypotheses regarding the postponement of the MCFW based on the evolution of the current epidemic. The MCFW management, in line with the priority that has always been given to sustainability and ethics, joins the global demands on the need to respect the rules of isolation for individual security and global solidarity now more critical than ever.
- MONACO announces the cancellation of the F1 2020 GRAND PRIZE scheduled from 21 to 24 May due to the coronavirus – For the first time since 1954, the roar of F1 cars will not ring on the streets of Monaco since the Automobile Club de Monaco (ACM) has announced the cancellation of this year’s Monaco Grand Prix. Previously it seemed that the race was only postponed, as did the Dutch and Spanish Grand Prix, but later the ACM said that “with great sadness” the race would be canceled. The race, scheduled this year from 21 to 24 May, has been held every year since 1955, starting in 1929. The Grand Prix Historique de Monaco, which takes place before the F1 race, has also been canceled.
- The 15th edition of EVER MONACO, initially scheduled from 28 to 30 May has been postponed from 10 to 12 September 2020 – Forum on renewable energy and ecological vehicles and international conferences, EVER Monaco is the oldest event dedicated to sustainable mobility and energy renewable in the Principality. Launched in 2005, this event brings together the main players in the sector every year. Professional forum where the general public is also welcome, EVER Monaco is an exhibition-conference that focuses on two key themes: the development of electric and hybrid mobility (from two-wheeled vehicles to private cars, through transport and automotive industry) and the use of renewable energies: wind, maritime, solar … beyond scientific conferences, round tables that bring together personalities from the world of sustainable development and electric vehicles, international meetings, and “Ride and Drive”, also the manufacturers electric boats will offer the opportunity to test them as part of a partnership with the Monaco Yacht Club. And the Riviera Electric Challenge “Cagnes for Ever” …. will be back on the program this year! ever-monaco.com
- The CINÉ-CONFÉRENCE “MONACO ET L’AUTOMOBILE” originally scheduled for May 28, has been postponed to 2021 Monaco in Film – Discussion about the movie: Monaco and the car – The confinement situation forces the Audiovisual Institute of Monaco and the Archives of the Palace of Monaco to postpone the debate on the film “Monaco and the car”, originally scheduled for May 28 at the Grimaldi Forum, until next season.
- Despite the current smart work of its teams, the Institute will not be able to guarantee the production of this event on time. Postponing the event therefore seems to be the best solution to preserve its historical and audiovisual quality, which is its “raison d’etre”. However, the Institute and Archives remain fully committed to their contribution to the great summer exhibition of the Grimaldi Forum “Monaco and the car, from 1893 to today” scheduled from 11 July to 6 September 2020. The 19th century ended in a climate full of optimism and certainty: humanity was fascinated by the progress and benefits of science. And among the recent inventions, two would forever change the world and our way of seeing it: the car and the cinema. The arrival of the car in Monaco gave rise to a revolution in sport and culture. Object of curiosity and charm, the car dominated the topography of a city reduced to its size. In this open-air theater, the car always played the main roles as the princes of Monaco and the aristocratic clientele of Monte-Carlo are no stranger to this passion for motorsport. Text, images, speeches, and this new movie debates in collaboration with the Archive of the Palazzo di Monaco will make it clear how the Principality has become the temple of the automobile in the eyes of the world.
- The DATACLOUD WORLD CONGRESS, initially scheduled for 3/4 June, was postponed from 7 to 9 December 2020 – Datacloud Global Congress: the first leadership summit for critical IT infrastructures. In December 2020 Datacloud will focus on new growth vectors for the cloud and the periphery of Datacenter.
- The 17th TOP MARQUES edition initially scheduled at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco from 10 to 14 June 2020 was postponed to the same place from 9 to 13 June 2021. “It is with great regret that we have decided to postpone the 17th TOP MARQUES edition to due to the uncertain evolution of COVID-19. The health of our teams, our exhibitors, our sponsors and partners and all our visitors is our priority and, unfortunately, the current situation will not allow the fair exhibition to take place as expected in June, “said the CEO Salim Zeghda. “However, the celebrations will be even more important in 2021, with our new department dedicated to classic cars that we believe will complete the event.” Tickets already purchased for the 2020 edition will be fully refunded through the same channels through which have been booked (Grimaldi Forum or Fnac Spectacles). For more information on the 17th edition, visit the website www.topmarquesmonaco.com and consult the social media Top Marques.